I can’t believe we just finished our first book! I have to say… I love being in a book club. Something about being able to discuss a book and dissecting each chapter, with people who also want to, is pretty refreshing!
I wanted to thank those who joined last month’s Rae’s Reads throughout the month of August! I had such a good time writing my weekly discussions and having some of you engage and be just as eager to see how the book ended. It made me happy to see you were enjoying it! This was my first book club choice, which could have been a hit or miss, but I think overall, everyone enjoyed the story and were happy to have read it!
I chose this month’s book based off of the NY Times Best sellers list, like last month’s, but this time, a genre I personally really enjoy… MYSTERY!!! I love suspenseful, turn pagers that get you wanting to solve the mystery before ever coming close to the end, it’s that intense! Just like movies, I feel like these types of books keep my attention and interest much more than any other genre, so why not try one this month! I was going to wait until October and get in the spirit of Halloween but I just couldn’t wait. PLUS, this book was just released… so…
For the month of September, we will be reading, “A Stranger in the House,” by Shari Lapena. Ugh, I literally cannot wait to read this as I’ve heard this is a suspenseful thriller you never want to put down! This New York Times best seller was released on August 15th of this year!
I am a big fan of Shari Lapena and her first best-selling book, “The Couple Next door.” Another great thriller that left me wanting more. When I saw this book had just come out, it was a calling that we have to read it!!
Just to give a very brief summary, this book is about a suspicious accident, a wife who can’t account for herself and unsettling questions that threaten to tear a couple apart. A thriller packed full of secrets, and a twisty story that never stops… what else could you ask for?!
This book can be found in various forms and at various places. For those who enjoy a physical book in hand, you can find it on Amazon for $11.72 in paperback. Side note –> make sure to order this ASAP or run over to your nearest book store to get the book before we disuss on 9/8!) If you are like me and enjoy reading the e-book version on an iPad or Kindle, you can download the book, for $12.99. I actually really enjoy using my iPad because I can make side notes and highlight passages through each chapter. This really came in handy!
At this point, some of you might be wondering how they missed last month’s and how to join in on this month’s… well don’t you fret, there’s always room for more 🙂 During August, I explored using the website Goodreads (a free website for book lovers), and I felt that it was a pretty nice set-up and user-friendly! So I’m going to stick to using it again for this month’s book! For those of you who are interested in joining this month’s book club, you should definitely keep on reading than!
Here is the break-down in terms of how to join, what to expect, and how to stay connected!
- If you do not have a Goodreads account, you can create one as well as become a member automatically, by clicking here. If you already have an account, you can click on the link as well, and it should direct you to the group page to become a member.
- Once you are a member, feel free to play around on our group page, leave comments, questions, etc. and I will get a direct email and can respond to you.
- I have created our first discussion board within the group, which you will be able to see once a member, titled “Welcome.”
- Each week I will assign additional chapters, and this month, every Friday I will post in this group, on a discussion board, comments, questions, etc.
- Feel free to read ahead as I am giving everyone the entire month of September to read and discuss. This will give everyone time to contribute in the discussion as well as catch up for the following week!
- Feel free to talk about anything related to this book as no comment is wrong or right, but is your opinion. I like opinions, so please don’t hold back any of them!
Here are also some rules or guidelines, however you’d like to refer these as, for all of you, who are interested in joining in on all the fun this month!
- Follow each week’s discussion
- Keep up on the chapters
- Engage with us!
- Enjoy your set aside reading time
It’s not about how many people join in, or share in the weekly discussions, it’s about how each person feels after finishing a good read! I think a good books leaves the reader either wanting more, asking questions. That to me makes reading a book worth it. The nice part is that it creates time for yourself during your day to focus just on reading, and nothing else!
I have created a schedule for this book so nobody gets left behind! Like I said, feel free to read ahead, but make notes as you go so you can share your thoughts for each weeks discussion!
WEEK 1 – 9/1 to 9/8: Chapters 1-12
WEEK 2 – 9/8 to 9/15: Chapters 13-25
WEEK 3 – 9/15 to 9/22: Chapters 26-36
WEEK 4 – 9/22 to 9/29: Chapters 37-49
This makes it easy for y’all to write down, put it in your phone calendar, whatever you gotta do to remember!
I am so excited to start this book and have more people join us in this moth’s Rae’s Reads!!!
Happy Reading 🙂